Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Liam's Birth Story

Liam's due date was November 6th, 2005. We just needed to get past November 1st as we had an October 31st deadline to hit on our supplemental insurance that we'd bought to pay for my maternity leave and hospital bills. (This maternity plan had to be in effect for 10 months before we could make a claim. We signed it December 31st hence the October 31st deadline.) I am explaining this because it played a VERY important role in our financial situation when the baby came.

On Friday, October 21st I was basically told to be on full bed rest. Liam's fluid levels were very low for a few weeks, but hit a new low at 5.5 on this day. I was very good taking it easy all weekend long (only going to Robin's baby shower that Saturday) so when I went back to the doctor on Monday morning (October 24th), I expected my fluid levels to be back up to the iffy 6-8s. No such luck. I think my level was 3.5 and the doctor panicked. He said he HAD to induce me NOW.

I was upset that I wasn't able to go to work. I called Ian and told him what was happening and then the doctor talked to him briefly to say we HAD to do it NOW. I knew Ian was going to freak out because we were a week away from being in the safe zone financially. I called my boss in tears saying I was having the baby "today or tomorrow" and he was really understanding. I was appreciative because I had another week's worth of work to get done and there wasn't an internet connection at the hospital so I could be productive with my laptop while we waited for the baby.

Anyway, I convinced the doctor to let me run home and pack my things and the baby's things. I called Robin from the doctor's office to have her meet me at the house and help me get the car seat in, etc. She was a doll and dropped everything to be with me. She even got a sitter for Tucker so she could go the hospital with me and get me checked in.

While I was home, it dawned on me that I didn't tell Ian about my detour. He was at the hospital wondering where I was! Then Ian's Dad calls right before I leave the house and says that I don't have to be induced (because induction is something I never wanted and we had talked about that previously), that it was our decision, not the doctor's. So that confused me more because I was pretty sure things weren't good enough to keep the baby inside any longer, but I was torn because Ian was so upset that we weren't hitting our deadline (and I was too). Ultimately, the plan was to get checked in and not let the nurses do anything to me until we got a final consultation with the doctor. We needed to understand completely so we could make the right decision. I was happy the nurses were respectful of my wishes. They gave us updates on when the doctor would come talk to us.

I think around 11am the doctor finally came in and gave us the scoops. My placenta was failing and it wasn't safe for Liam to be inside any longer. Plus, I was diagnosed with Preeclampsia (Toxemia) that morning with my protein levels and blood pressure out of control. (I had borderline Gestational Diabetes diagnosed when I was 30 weeks along.) So things just weren't in our favor (me or Liam). It was time to make things happen and we had a better understanding of why at this point.

We waited around for the nurses to give me the cervical priming device until 2pm... that had to be in for 12 hours, then they would induce me at 2am with pitocin. 12 hours with nothing to do... I wished so much that I had an internet connection. Ian went back to work for a little while (his work was only 4 blocks away). I made phone calls and watched TV.

I had minimal cramping and then 2am finally came. The nurse took the device out and my water broke (what little of it there was). They started the pitocin and slowly things started happening. By 4:30am I was asking the nurses if I was a wimp if I requested relief this early. They of course were really supportive and said I could do anything I wanted. I finally gave in and the epidural was administered at 5am. I sent Ian home to get some rest because I honestly thought my labor would last long into the day and evening (and I also thought I would get some rest if I didn't feel a thing). Well, my epidural only worked on my right side and I was in horrible pain all by my lonesome. At 6 or 6:30am I broke down and called Verena because she's had 2 babies all natural so I knew she could calm me down. That she did. I stayed on the phone with her for 30 minutes. She used the Bradley methods to keep me calm and focused. I got off the phone when the anesthesiologist finally came to my rescue.

I could still feel a lot, but it was much easier to handle... (I am not even going to explain the pain caused by the catheter)... 7:15am I start to feel like the baby was coming (intense pain). The nurse checks me and I am at a 6. I call Ian and let him know to get there soon. He says he is going to take a shower and be on his way. No problem. The pain and pressure got tons worse and I went crazy, almost hyperventilating, I didn't know what to do with myself! The nurse was telling me to breath and calm down, but I just couldn't get control. At 7:35am I feel the baby move down, way down, like he was coming all my himself! I was scared to death and pushed my call button and started yelling for help! It hurt so bad and I really thought the baby was coming on his own. Andrea, my wonderful nurse, rushed in and checked me. I was at a 10. A 10!!! They were calling the crew and the doctor to start the pushing, delivery, everything without my husband!!! I called Ian on the cell and said he was only a few minutes away. He walked in only a few minutes before the doctor and announced he broke a few laws to get himself there as fast as he could! I was relieved he made it in time.

Andrea said it was time to push and I refused to start that process without more pain relief. I seriously thought I was
feeling EVERYTHING. I now know it was a fraction, but it was too much. I don't know who, but God bless the person who administered a bolus of the epidural into the IV. Immediate relief! The pushing began. I could feel enough down there to know when to push and tell the nurse when to start counting. 45 minutes later, Liam was born.

6lbs, 4oz. He didn't cry, just grunted. The Respiratory Therapist worked with him to get the fluid out of his
lungs for about 45 minutes. I did get to hold my new baby for a tiny minute before Ian accompanied him with the therapist to the nursery. He was perfectly healthy and I was so pleased that I actually gave birth as perfectly as it was intended to be (plus the epidural). I was so worried he would be delivered by c-section. I was grateful then and I am so grateful today that my baby is healthy and strong. What a miracle conception, pregnancy, birth and each new day is. Liam is a marvel and I am so blessed he is mine.

P.S. We were advised to make the insurance claim even though Liam was early. We got the money and I was able to stay home for 2 months!!!

8 comments:

Katie said...

I remember what a scary time that was. I'm so glad that you and Liam both made it through perfectly healthy!

Mall Worker said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I had preeclampsia too (severe) and had to be indueced, so I understand a little about what you went though! I'm glad that you and Liam got through it safely!

Kristen said...

What a great story, and what a beautiful baby!

Tori :) said...

I had thought about writing my birth story(ies), so now I think I will. Thanks Gina!

Nettie said...

I love hearing birth stories! I'm so glad everything worked out in the end!

kpjara said...

Wow! It always amazes me when a new life enters this world. Wonderful story.

Rachelle said...

What a great birth story. You sure had a lot of scary things going on at once. I'm glad you got the money, even if he was a bit early. Thanks for participating!

Anonymous said...

i am sure when liam is older he will appreciate that you wrote all of that down. i love baby stories--it always makes me think of when savannah was born. you really gain a new and great appreciation for the process and miracle of birth and motherhood.