Tuesday, March 25, 2008

2 years, 5 months

Dear Son,

Another month slipped by and it was a bit better than the last one. Your communication has improved and you are helping us understand your needs or wants more than ever. We are loving your speech progress. You boss us around a lot these days... it's funny and we have to catch ourselves when laughter emits so you don't think it's okay to say "no, mine, go away" and "do this, okay?"

My patience has been thin lately and it's been hard for me to have the perspective I need to (as a mom to a two year old smarty pants). The parenting books say you are in the caveman stage of speech and brain development, but it's so hard for me not to treat you like a little adult sometimes. I tend to think you are so capable... and there are times you are... just... not. I have to learn to slow down and let you get whatever you need to say or cry about out of your system. It's times like these where your speech is pure jibberish and I am at an even greater loss for solving your problems.

All two-year-old-verses-the-mom nonsense aside, you are a joy. You have so much energy and love to give everyone you come into contact with. Sometimes you don't know how to express yourself and your enthusiasm... so you hit, throw or even fall to the ground like a little stunt man. I have a feeling that you'll be a big performer one day... among all the other talents you'll develop. And I am sure you'll be able to channel your true feelings, under pressure, better soon too.

Your Grandma Dixie has been here this week. I love to watch her dote on you, talk to you and love on you. You two are such good friends. It's neat to see you interact with her, play games with her and watch your favorite movies together. It seems life is sweeter when she is around to take a mighty interest in all you do. Now and then, Mom and Dad get so run down that we don't take advantage of the full joy you are to all of us. Thank goodness she was here this week to compensate and get excited over all your little doings. What a blessing.

This past month you've been helping around the house and helping me cook and bake. I even ordered you a special stool so you can start helping me even more. I didn't realize how much trouble that stool would get you into. You are finding all sorts of treasures (no no's) as you drag that thing around. I do appreciate you helping me put it together though. You were such a big helper! You'd hold the screws or hold the legs while I would drill them together. You only lost one screw when you decided to put it into a vacant hole of the stool. What's a retro stool without a little rattle?

I have to report once again that you are eating like a champ from last month to this one. You continue to eat dinner so well in the evenings. Most anything I make for the family, you'll eat. Casseroles or whatever. I am so grateful for this.

I am also grateful for a fairly easy bedtime. You aren't begging to cuggle Daddy anymore. You'll go to bed with any toy or item you have attached yourself to that day. Lately it's been the 3 bear finger puppets that came from a plush story book. You've gone to bed with a foam airplane, cars, balloons and even some Dalmatian zipper pulls that you got from your Dalmatian DVD. Such a quirky guy, but we love that you are happy cuddling these items and not so dependent on us.

There is one more thing I have to share here. The past couple months you've been calling any stranger, a boy. You'll see men walking or see kids coming your way and say "boy" or "come here, boy!" It makes me laugh every time. You were jumping on the bed and playing with Daddy the other night and you suddenly said "come here, boy" and I just couldn't stop giggling! It's just funny the way you say it. You even called Boo from Monsters Inc a "little boy." I laughed and then corrected you. I have yet to hear you say "girl" on your own accord.

I want you to know that I love you more than anything, Liam. I love your big personality and the sparkle that is in you. I love kissing your soft little lips, tickling you and hugging you tight. I love your contagious laughs, giggles and those not-so-noticeable breaths of delight when something surprises or pleases you. (I can't explain those tiny utterances that are a split second. But I love them.) Thank you for being patient, loving and forgiving with me. You are so wonderful. I hope you always appreciate life as much as you do today!

Yours Forever,
Mom

15 comments:

Preds Girl said...

Oh what a cute kid! I love that you do these letters for him--so cool!

D said...

So sweet and so smart! Love the little vignettes of who he is and what he is doing. That's so funny that he calls everyone boy. Kaden calls all females mama. Not in person but pictures of them. For example he calls Sally in Cars Mama. And when he sees pictures of women or girls he calls them mama. funny kid. :) But to their face he calls no one but me Mama so I can deal with it ok. Occasionally I am even flattered that he would associate the photo of some random hot movie star with me - his mama. :)

Daisy said...

That was a beautiful letter. I love these letters for Liam. What a lucky kid he is to have you for a mom.

Unknown said...

The photos are darling...And I LOVE THat stool....I remember that we used to have one kind of like that...retro is best.

www.stepherz.com said...

What a super cool kid you've got there, Gina. The caveman thing will pass, I know it's a hard stage. Hitting three really changed Bella tremendously. She's no cavegirl now!

He's a sweet little fella, Gina. I love how nurturing and loving you are-- it flows from you in your words and through Liam's contagious smile. You're a fantastic momma!

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful, Gina! And I love that you share both good and challenging with him and us. He will cherish these letters someday!

Saedi said...

He is adorable! I had so much fun reading this cute little sum-up of your darling little Liam! You are such a cute Mommy!

Terry said...

Oh, two year olds are the best. :) Liam reminds me a little of Eliza when she was two. She used to take a different toy to bed every night too. Sadie mostly needs her blankets but the last two weeks she has been sleeping with her abacus. Its been nice because I've been able to lie in bed a while longer in the morning as I listen to her talk to it over the monitor.

I am a little envious to read that Liam eats everything you cook. As you read in my post, I must be a bad cook because Sadie only wants milk. :) I am pleased any time she consumes any solid food. :)

Shannon said...

Liam is getting cuter every day, what a little man in that studly hat! I love the pics as well as the words you always post. I should stop by more often!

Kari said...

Oh Gina, that picture of him in the hat and shirt & tie is just too cute! He is a very well dressed boy!

Anonymous said...

awesome letter! Ditto the caveman phase. Some days, I feel like she's going to hit me over the head with a club and drag me by my hair.

utmommy said...

I love that first picture of Liam! He is adorable. He is really going to enjoy having these wonderful letters.

www.stepherz.com said...

He's such a camera ham! Silly, sweet fella!

Sharon said...

So sweet! I love it!
:-)

a wynn wynn situation said...

Wow- I came to check out your blog after you left a comment on mine and I was expecting a typical blog but yours is so touching. What a lucky little boy to have such a devoted mom that captures everything in writing so beautifully!