Thursday, October 25, 2007

Happy Birthday, Liam! You're Two!

Dear Son,

I have so much to say to you today. It's been another outstanding month where you've blown us away with your intelligence and wit!

This morning we took video of you opening the door to your playroom where you found your birthday presents. You saw all the goodies with wide eyes and put your hands up saying "Tah-dah!" You immediately went for the balloons with excitement... and that hot rod pedal car [that Dad was so excited for you to see] got secondary attention. Certainly a typical reaction for people your age. Just goes to show a few dollars spent on balloons is all anyone needed to make a special day for you.

You did take a major interest in your new car later in the morning. You were climbing on the hood and sliding off of it too. You pushed it around and sat in it a bit. It was sweet when we got home from work, you took Daddy into the playroom, climbed into your car and then pointed for Daddy to sit next to you. Yep, you left Daddy a whole 2 inches of the seat, so he sat on the floor beside you instead. Then later this evening, when your friends came over for birthday cake... you were so darling pushing Jacob in the pedal car as he steered all silly. 5-year-old Jacob made it look like a breeze to pedal pedal pedal. I was proud of you for sharing your new toy with him and having fun with taking turns.

Another cute thing you did this evening before our guests came over... you went in the playroom and pointed to a big balloon and then to the little one. You held the little one and and said "baby." I taught you awhile back that big things are the mommy and the smaller version of the same thing is the baby. It cracked me up that you remembered that! Melted my heart too.

This past month or so, you've been pointing to your ear when you hear something specific. It generally happens if you hear a truck or train outside, an aircraft overhead or a cat meowing in the other room. You'll point to your ear or cup your ear and say truck, train, airplane or kitty. You light up with recognition. We love how observant you are, even when you are in the middle of something else, you'll notice the sounds outside of your element. It's amazing to us because we don't notice the birds chirping like you do. It's just another way we can enjoy the world through not just your eyes, but your ears.

You are putting two words together more and more often now. It's a big surprise each time you do it. I gave you a drink of my ice water the other day and after a big gulp, you said "cold wahder." I was so thrilled with you! You'll also say "seeyalayer" when we are saying good-bye to people. Oh, and you say thank you for everything! I love that high pitched voice when there is gratitude in your heart. Even for the simplest things that even adults don't say thank you for. You also tack on "your welcome" to your thank you's now and then. Cracks us up.

I love you because you are so innocent and strive to do good. You want to do anything that makes us smile. I love you because you are so smart and so funny. You'll go to far lengths to make us laugh and impress us with your knowledge. I love you because you're mine and I get to spend every day with you. It's a privilege to be your parent, protector, teacher and playmate. You are more special than I can ever describe. It's fantastic to me that, as your mother, I can see all your potential, your worth. I hope that I can start your path out so you are headed in the right direction... when you are out of my sight... out of my care... and out in the world alone. I pray that your instincts to do good now will carry with you forever.

I love you, Liam. Happy Birthday, you talented little man!

Love,
Mom

Click HERE to see all the birthday photos.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Love you Liam! Happy Birthday!

Tori :) said...

I still can't believe he's 2. Seriously. Our kids are getting so old so fast!!
Happy 2nd!!

Klin said...

Two years already! He is so darling and cute. You are a great mom.

Happy Birthday Liam.

Terry said...

How cute about the baby balloon. That story made me smile. What an awesome little tot to share his new toy so well!

I love that our kiddos are the same age. Its so fun!

Suzanne said...

Don't you love a child's innocence? Happy Birthday, Liam! :D