Saturday, August 25, 2007

Happy 22 Month Birthday, Liam!

Dear Son,

This past month went faster than the last one. I am at a loss as to where the time goes.

We've had a lot of fun with you this month. You are just so smart and darling and wonderful. Even though you've lost some of your manners with the lack of "please" and "help", you are super sweet when you say "bless you" and "thank you" and our favorite, "love you."

We've noticed that you notice everything! Minor details of your surroundings catch your eye and you'll point or "talk" about what you see. It takes us a bit to figure out what you are telling us... and sometimes it remains a mystery... we just aren't that observant.

We get a kick out of your odd requests and demanding ways. You tell us (by pointing) where to put your food and where you want us to sit or stand. You get mad if Daddy walks away without saying he'll be right back. You demand your milk right when you wake up along with some kind of cereal to snack on. You ask to color or draw many times in a day, even when you are in the middle of a meal or we are on our way to tuck you into bed. You basically rule the roost, and most of the time, that is okay.

You've become a pickier eater. It's been difficult to find things you'll eat that are actually good for you. Eggs and ravioli continue to be your favorite foods. You aren't into bananas this month, but melon is one you always ask for seconds on. You love your corn on the cob, but refuse carrots or potatoes of any sort. You'll love pretzels one day and hate them the next. Yogurt is an edible food today and a play thing tomorrow. It's great that your buds are maturing enough to know what you are in the mood to eat, but for this to happen at a point when you can't tell us your exact craving... well, it's frustrating... we just keep guessing until you eat something!

You've been playing with the Bengals a lot more lately. You like to corner them and lay on them. You don't seem to get the picture that they can't breathe until we say, "let the kitty go, Liam." It's funny that once you set them free, they don't go far. I think they actually like the "affection" you give each of them. Orion gave you a small scratch for the first time last week. It didn't deter you for long.

Our new bed time routine includes me asking if I can have a taste of whatever body part I can get you to point to or give me. I will take fake bites of your nose, ears, eyes, neck, hands, elbows, belly, knees and toes and say "TASTY!" You giggle each time. You are so cute when you ask one last time for a toe or your nose before I leave the room for good.



Last night we were outside playing with the sidewalk chalk. It was so sweet when I sat down to draw, you sat down too. You even sat right in my lap and colored on top of anything I would draw or write. You love to have something to color, so if we don't draw something for you, you generally ask us to. Anyway, you had just gotten done playing in the pool and hose, so it was nice to hold you in my lap and warm you up a bit until you finally caved so we could go inside and start bath time.

It's an honor to share my birthday with you today. You were an angel child today - All Day. I couldn't get enough of you. You seemed tickled to spend some quality time with both your parents at the same time. It was especially sweet when I brought you in our bed and you were in between us, taking glances back and forth and grinning then giggling because you are so lucky to have two people that love you so much in the same room!

I can't believe I am 29 and it's even more unbelievable [for me] that I have a 22 month old! I love you so much, Liam! I'll thank you again for your patience with me as you grow and change. You want so badly to do good. You are such an amazing little man already. I look forward to your continued growth and learning. I am in awe of you.

Love you always,
Mom

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice letter to Liam, Gina.
Liam will love reading these letters when he is older. Love you, grandma-dixie

Tori :) said...

Love the letter- as usual.

I think it's funny that he's a pickier eater now. I remember when you were pregnant with Liam you told me that your kid wouldn't be a picky eater because you would just feed him whatever it was you cooked for dinner. **smile** I didn't want to burst your bubble. :D

Liv eats waffles and noodles. And she likes to steal my coke. How's that for variety??

www.stepherz.com said...

Happy 29th Birthday Gina; Happy 22 month birthday Liam!

Jeremy and I were talking about how wonderful it must be to have two parents who love you so intensely. There must be such comfort in a childhood like that. It must raise up such strong and confident adults.

I never really noticed until today how VERY, VERY much Liam looks like you! That first picture is amazing; he soooo favors you!

Yvonne said...

What a beautiful letter, and what a great thing to do for him.

You truly are a wonderful mom. He will definitely grow up with a knowledge that he has been loved, and is there anything better.

Terry said...

Sweet letter, Gina. I know all about that business of offering lots of foods until they'll finally eat something. :)

Shannon said...

You inspire me Gina. I have much to learn from your blog etiquette, but in the meantime, I wanted you to know that even if I don't comment frequently,I love reading your blog. It's funny that while I was reading your blog I was noticing similarities between some of the things our little guys do. They would have fun playing together I think!

utmommy said...

I love the picture!

It's hard to believe how fast time flies.

Jamie said...

Happy 22 months! And happy 29 years!

If you find out where the time is going so quickly, you have to let me know! It's amazing how fast they are changing.

Cute black and whites!

Anissa said...

Very sweet letter. Those food woes sound just so much fun. Won't it be great when they can tell you exactly what they are feeling, wanting, needing?

Suzanne said...

Sweet letter and wonderful pics, Gina! You are such an incredible mom! :)

Miss Notesy said...

That is so sweet!!!!!! Gosh, check out my parenting skilz with my recent post.