Wednesday, March 25, 2009

3 years, 5 months

Dear Son,

How did another month slip by? If I had actually asked you this question, you'd reply with an, "I don't know!" Well, I don't know either. But it was a fun month. You are slipping out of the toddler stage and right into manhood. You are so so so grown up in your speech and actions. It stuns people how much you have to say - and how well you say it.

Being the talker you are, you are constantly calling out for me or Daddy to ask us to come see something you've colored, tell us something you just realized or even just to say you love us. You get so excited to tell us new and old information all the time. It's funny when you accidentally call us by the wrong name, repeat the wrong name as a question like it was a joke, then correct yourself. Your sense of humor is darling.

Yesterday, as we were driving home, you grabbed your back pack that I keep all your “what if” items in. You opened it up and told me so as you were doing it, “Mommy, I need something in my pack pack.” I started laughing. I love how you say it. Even with me explaining time and time again that it goes on your back and it’s called a back pack, you still call it a pack pack. With your cute voice and the way you spin the words, it’s hilarious. You kept calling it different things to keep me laughing like, “This is my Dora pack pack.” Or “Is this a dinosaur pack pack?” I was laughing so much. The lengths you go to for a laugh...

This past month you have become obsessed with coloring in the lines! You are so proud of your hard work. We are too. You have taken more of an interest in pencil sketching this month also. Your drawings are pretty amazing! I love how are artistic you are with your lines and what you later decide those lines will evolve into. You've created dinosaurs, monsters and a you did a lion the other day complete with teeth. I was so impressed then and I still am today!

You are such a unique kid, Liam. I really feel blessed to know you. I think a lot of folks feel that way too. You are not dull in any way. You face life with smiles, confidence and pure delight. It's easy to get along with you and bask in your presence. You aim to please (even after you've been asked for the 14th time to do so)! You are truly a blessing to me, your dad and so many others who care for you. I hope you never let your spirit lose that spark. You truly are one of Heavenly Father's sunbeams that you sing about. I love how you've learned the words from our nightly practice and sing them so loudly, "I'll be a sunbeam for HIM!" You might read this some day and think I am just a bias mom, but I know you are an instrument and key player in our Heavenly Father's Plan. A true ray of light to me and many others. I hope you will always have a conviction of how important and special you are too.

Love you always,
Mom

7 comments:

The NON-Superwoman said...

Love the concentration on his face as he colors/draws :-) Great drawing Liam!

Melynie said...

That is a fantastic picture! What a good little artist! Awesome, Liam!

Leatha said...

Wow that is a great drawing!
Funny three-year olds are our absolute favorite here. Can we schedule a play date for May?

Anissa said...

my kids call them pack packs too. Probably because that's what DJ and I call them. Oops! :)

Looks like he's got some artistic talent running through those veins. It will be neat to see how that develops over the next few years.

Anonymous said...

A really long time ago, I left a mean comment on your blog and I just wanted to apologize for that. Lately I have been thinking about that, and although it took me a while to find your blog again, I am sorry to have been hurtful and rude. I am not normally that kind of person. Especially to people I don't even know.

Gina said...

Dear Anonymous, I remember you and have thought of you since then. I wondered if there was anything I could have done for you back then. I hope you are well and things are happy in your life.
Much Love,
Gina

Katie said...

Gina, he's so big! I love your letters.

Anonymous, I think it takes a ton of courage and character to track someone down to apologize like you did. I don't know if you'll see this, but if you do, know that I have a lot of respect for you tonight.