Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2 year, 10 months

Dear Son,

Here we are again and you’ve grown another month more…

We shared a birthday yesterday. You were so excited when I told you it was my birthday so you replied, “It’s my birday too!” You were correct since you are now only two months away from turning three! As tall as you are getting, it’s odd to be calling you a two year old at all. The way you’ve been eating the past week or so, I think you are due for another growth spurt, so you may be looking like a four year old by the time you are three!


The past month has been one full of change. You started day care a little over a week ago and are adjusting well to it. You don’t take naps there so you seem more tired than usual, but you always have good things to report about your time away from us. The first day I dropped you off, I could barely fight back the tears. Though I was comfortable with the caretakers, it hit me hard that nevertheless I left you with strangers. It hurt again the next day and then I was fine with it though I missed you so so so much during my long work day. We had a nice weekend together so yesterday when I dropped you off, my heart sunk again. I didn’t want to let you go.

It’s interesting how connected we are and how hard it is for me to let someone else take care of you. You, on the other hand, are fine with kissing me good-bye and sending me on my way. It’s certainly a blessing that you are an extremely social little boy. When I have you back in my arms again, you are excited to see me and tell me about your day. At bed time we’ve been reading books and snuggling… I love how tickled you are with that time alone with me. You are so sweet to give me kisses and hugs, more than once. The “I love you’s” are passed back and forth… and then you reply back to me that I am the best after me telling you that you are the best. Sometimes you agree and say, “yes, I the best” instead and I love that too!

Savoring you is sometimes a challenge, but I am trying so hard to make my time with you count more now that I have less time. In the working hours that I am away from you, I am grateful for this journal and all the photos I’ve collected of you. I am able to take a break and stare at your beautiful face, tilt my head and think “awe… I am so lucky”… then go back to work! I miss you so much during the week days.

Thanks for making me laugh.
Thanks for saying you are sorry.
Thanks for minding your manners.
Thanks for brightening my days.
Thanks for always loving me.

“Between the innocence of babyhood and the dignity of manhood, we find a delightful creature of a boy.”

Loving you always,
Mom

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said, Gina, and happy belated birthday!

Em said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it was good. Looking forward to going out to dinner to celebrate!

utmommy said...

What a wonderful letter!

I'm glad he's enjoying day care. Sorry it's been so hard on you. Enjoy your time with him:)

Leatha said...

Happy Birthday! And I love these letters, every one. I am happy he loves daycare! What a sweet, sweet boy.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

aww, so sweet! You are a sweet mommy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you .

Daisy said...

What a sweet letter. Are you working the whole day at your office now? Sorry that I missed your birthday. I remember every day leading up to it and was like "I need to call or send her an email". It was so easy to remember cuz Luke was also born on the 25th (of July). So sorry again!! Loved this sweet letter and hope that it gets easier.

meredith said...

Happy Birthday! Liam is getting so big! Going to "school" already. :) And I love your veggies in the other posts! What farmers. I'm impressed

jolibe said...

I always love reading these letters. I'm sure they will be cherished family memories forever!

Hope your birthday was fun, and hopefully you're not working too hard these days! ;)

It's true, you really are so blessed!

Suzanne said...

Gina, I didn't know it was your birthday yesterday! Happy Birthday!!!

This letter was so very sweet. How lucky you are to have each other, and Ian too! :)

Klin said...

Wow! I remember feeling the same things when my children were little. You have an amazing relationship with your little guy. He is bound to have a great life with all that you do for him and with him.

Happy Birday to you (and Liam;)

Karissa said...

Hope you had a great birthday! Liam is such a cute little boy! I wish we lived closer so that Liam and Karlie could play together... I hope everything else is going well!

www.stepherz.com said...

Happy Birthday, my beautiful friend!

I love the quote in your sidebar by Sullivan. My heart skipped a beat.

Sweet gorgeous good hearted boys come from sweet gorgeous good hearted mommas. You have it mastered, Gina! Liam is a perfect reflection of you and Ian!

Yvonne said...

Happy belated Birthday, Gina. I hope it was a good one.

It is so hard to leave them. You are such a great mom. He is going to love reading your words of love.

Melynie said...

What a beautiful letter! Happy birthday to you and Liam. Glad he likes daycare. It's so hard to let these little ones go. Love ya!