Sunday, March 12, 2006

Morning Baby & Protective Mom

Liam has proven to be just like his dad, a morning person! I never have been, but it is easier when you have a smiling, kicking and cooing child cheering you first thing!Last night we got a sitter and went to a play my friend, Kate, directed. "The Importance of Being Earnest" was a hilarious show and I am so glad we went. I was gripping the cell phone with white knuckles as I was so worried our 12 year old friend tending Liam would call with questions or a crisis. I was nervous the whole night and even on the ride home, just hoping nothing went wrong in our absence. Ian was as cool as a cucumber, but I couldn't get the knot out of my stomach. I opened the front door to a quiet house and a little young women reading a book on the couch. I said, "How did it go?" and she replied, "Just great!" (Sigh of releif! Ah everything is fine!) I asked if she would be willing to do this again sometime and she said yes. Taking the first step to leave your child for a few hours with a minor is soooo tough! I am so glad I survived it. She has proven to be very responsible! I knew she would, but when we handed Liam to her, he was half her size! I reassured myself that when I was 12 I was tending a family of 5 kids including a little baby... she could do this! Liam went to bed a few minutes after we left and never woke again... all she did was watch a movie then read a book. Peice of cake! Again I am so grateful for a mild baby.

After taking our friend home, I went upstairs and kissed Liam's sweet head. I about cried because I love him so much and felt so guilty for leaving him on a weekend when he should have ALL of my undivided attention. Knowing that he went to sleep minutes after we left didn't help me. When I am away from him, I feel as if I am going to miss an opportunity to comfort him. To my delight, at 11:30 he awoke for a feeding. I was so happy to see him and he smiled at us like saying, 'I knew you wouldn't be gone long!'

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Gina, leaving your little one for the first few times is so rough. I'm glad it went smoothly for you. We left Alli with a sitter at about 4 months old, and I was the same way. It gets easier, and it's good for Mom and Dad to have some time away, as well as good for Liam to know that there are a lot of people in this world he can count on to care for him.

Gina said...

Thank you, Mom!