Monday, February 25, 2008

2 years, 4 months

Dear Son,

This month went a little slower than usual and I have an inkling of why. We have had days on end that all seemed the dreaded same. You are truly a 2 year old who has constant struggles testing where your boundaries lie. We never thought the "terrible two's" would catch up to us. It's a fortunate thing that you continue on with your charming ways... as heaven knows, that (and your physical cuteness) are your saving grace. That said, we really are blessed to have YOU, and no other, testing our limits. Your mildness wore off long ago, but you really are a good natured child... we are very proud of you for that.

This month you've been praying a lot with our help. It's very sweet how clearly you echo back the words we offer you. My favorite phrase continues to be "Jesus Christ, Amen" and another favorite is when we bless Grandmas and Grandpas. Your way of saying Grandpa is more like Papaw. Just incredibly adorable, Liam. I wish you could see and hear the memory of it in my mind!

You continue to learn the English language and crack us up as you try:

Caterpillar - Pattipiyar
Butterfly - Fuff-fry
Put Away - Pooway
Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner - Yunch
Button - Bunt
Fish - Shish
Mustang - Musthang
White - Wipe
Chapstick - Boop

Daddy is always testing you with funny phrases and tongue twisters. The things he thinks up are hilarious all by themselves, but to hear you repeat them always gets us chuckling. We parents, acting like kids, try to get you to make us laugh with the same material over and over. You tickle our funny bone and you seem to love to play jester for us. I have found that most sessions of laughter are found in the car when we are running around town as a family.

A big milestone this month is that you've taken an interest in your potty chair. You'll sit there before bath time and sometimes before you get dressed or pajama'd. You think you are so big, though we've had no real results from all that sitting and trying. Tonight you got one tiny drop and seemed very pleased. "Wook, Mommy, wook!"

And speaking of "wooking", you are always asking us to look, look, look! All. the. time. You'll cross your fingers, make a face or stack 2 cars on top of one another... and then the requests begin. "Wook, Mommy!" and I say "Wow, Liam, that is SO cool! Great job. High fives!" You seem satisfied and go on with whatever you were doing before the randomly showcased trick. It makes me smile and then laugh to myself. I always knew you were clever, but it's extremely funny to me that you think you are pretty darn clever too.

I have to report your eating habits the past few weeks. I am amazed and delighted that you've been eating EVERYTHING put in front of you. I cook a meal for the family AND YOU EAT IT! No back up hot dogs, ravioli or oatmeal. This fact is simply surprising and wonderful to me! I haven't worried about your vitamin intake for weeks... weeks! You'll eat most any vegetables and any fruits... and pasta and rice and meats and pickles! I only hope this isn't a phase. And if it is, can we keep it forever?

I have broken out the parenting manuals once again. This parent/toddler thing is an ongoing education of rights and wrongs. We are learning just like you and it is hard. I know you are giving us your very best and we appreciate your stage in life. I hope we can give you our best more regularly, too, this next month and throughout your life. We'll continue to pray together for patience and understanding. The three of us sure can use it. Thanks for always forgiving and loving us not matter what, kiddo. Those soft kisses (and many other redeeming gestures) really go a long way.

All my love,

Mom

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful letter to Liam, I am so proud of you all. Love you Grandma Dixie

Ashley said...

Every time I read your letters I am amazed. You are a great mom and he is a wonderful little boy!

Jamie said...

Very sweet, Gina. As always. (just thought of this, if you don't do a blurb book of your whole blog, a book of just your letters would be a treasure, too)

I just have to say that Liam's eating is a miracle! My mouth just fell open when you said he eats whatever you prepare. Be so thankful for it... Avery eats just a few things TOTAL and it is really wearing on me.

Unknown said...

I love it that you've raised a non-picky eater..I hate picky eaters...I did good on my first child...now, I have a few picky eaters.

Toddlers will try you...if you get a chance, search my blog for the phrase permissive parenting...in some post, I talk about the different kinds of parenting, and I think that when you have a toddler, it is the best time to master the democratic parenting style!

I know you will get that kid raised masterfully...you are a great mom.

Klin said...

I always thought of them as the terrific twos. There is so much growth and learning taking place. Reading this reminds of when my own were little. Such fun days and great memories.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this, Gina, as it is a great reminder to me, that even on Little Dude's trying days, other parents are there too.

Although he isn't as old as Liam, sometimes he pushes all limits on a day, and I'm so worn out and tired. Like you, I realize his cuteness on those days, is his saving grace.

His hugs, his kisses, his smile - they make up for the day of chasing, saying no, redirecting him for the 75th time, etc.

Great letter!

Yvonne said...

Such a beautiful letter--as always. It is so evident that you and your husband enjoy him so much--isn't it wonderful that he will always have these letters.

I love how you have documented his language and his eating.

Great job, gina.

cpcox99 said...

What a sweet letter. The terrible twos aren't fun, but somehow those snuggles and kisses help you forget the tantrums.

Michael and Genevieve Beck Family said...

what a nice tribute. I love reading your blog when I get the chance.

Anonymous said...

Yunch is always a good idea. giggling at you!

Love, Rita Rickman