Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Do Not Read - For Venting Purposes Only!

My day started too early. I am grumpy, going on 22 hours of grumpy... so grumpy I wish there was a cuss word for grumpy, cuz grumpy is a weak word today...

1am - child awakes with hunger
1:01am - child's mother feeds him
1:30am - feeding complete
1:31am - lay child in crib
1:32am - child's mother watches as the child moves about taking FOREVER to get "comfortable"
1:36am - child's mother lays down
1:38am - child has lost plugging device
1:39am - child's mother listens to child struggle
1:42am - child's mother helps put the plug back into child's mouth
1:43am - child's mother lays down and sleeps

2:30am - child's begins restlessness
2:31am - child's mother finds plug and inserts into child's mouth

3:30am - child's begins restlessness
3:31am - child's mother finds plug and inserts into child's mouth

5am - child's restlessness is actually hunger this time
5:02am - child's mother notices wretched smell
5:03am - child's mother takes diaper off and reaches for a new one while child cries. In the same moment child's mother feels warm wet drops of... Urine! URINE EVERYWHERE! Child's mother panics and covers source with new diaper, wasting new diaper... ugh...
5:04am - child's crying subsides and becomes fully awake with much to say about the shower he created. child's mother finds new sleeper and strips child of wet sleeper. New diaper, new sleeper, pile of laundry on floor on top of the puddle created. child's mother stomps pile to absorb puddle.
5:10am - child's mother sits on side of bed to begin feeding. child's mother realizes the quilt has a puddle too. child's mother moves to a dryer spot of the bed.
5:35am - feeding complete
5:36am - lay child in crib
5:37am - child's mother watches as the child moves about taking FOREVER to get "comfortable"
5:39am - child's mother lays down and sleeps

7am - child's father makes too much noise getting ready for work... child awakes
7:01am - child's mother yells for father to fetch child
7:02am - child and mother snooze in bed together
7:45am - child awakes and cries
7:48am - child opens his eyes and realizes everything is just fine looking at mother's gaze... daze... whatever
7:48am - child's mother picks him up and finds a puddle underneath him.
7:49am - child's mother covers puddle with burp cloth and fetches laptop to begin work day in bed/puddle... holding child... typing one handed...
8:30am - child falls asleep and child's mother's work is more productive

Who am I kidding... let me just finish the normal way...
I had a lot of work to accomplish this morning (before 11am) and Liam woke back up at 9am and had to lay and stare at me while I got my work done. Already frustrated with my lack of sleep and layers of baby fluids all over me, I began to feel really guilty that I was working with my child peircing me with his sweet eyes saying, "Shouldn't you be playing with me and making me laugh right now?"
"Yes, I should, Liam... I really should, but NO, mommy has to work instead of pay attention to your cuteness."
I wanted to cry... I wanted to call into work and instead of play with my sweetheart, I wanted to take him to the sitter anyways so I could SLEEP! (Which made me feel more guilty.) SLEEP remember sleep? Sleep should be uninterupted for preferably 7-8 hours between the hours of 11pm-7am.
5 months have passed without one solitary night like this for me. I know some people have it worse cuz they have twins, insomnia or night terrors, but I am WIPED! Today it all just hit me hard. And I didn't mention it's been 2 nights in a row that Liam has been up every hour starting at 1am.

I got to work 5 minutes late today... how lame is that when I have to be there at noon? For Pete's sake! But when you are trying to log 2 hours of work from 8am-11am with a child who needs attention... it's almost near impossible on a daily basis! I worked until 11:15am today and so that really threw me off. I hurried and ate lunch, packed the car, and got myself to look presentable all in 20 minutes. I got Liam in a clean diaper, fed him on one side and hurried and got him in the car seat and out the door! The only thing that went right today was that I was late enough out the door that I missed the noon bus that makes me wait in the middle of my own street as preschool brats pass me and wave and/or knock on my car window like I know them or something! Wow, I found something positive that happened today and that was only because I was late.

Work was basically one big HUGE project that had to be perfect and I was so nervous as I finished it cuz I was so sure something would be wrong with it (as I have been told recently that some of my work hasn't been up to par). So that ate my day when I thought another project assigned a few days ago was going to be finished today... NOPE. In the midst of that I give my hubby a call to say, "Try to keep Liam awake from 4pm-5:30pm so he will sleep better tonight." I think a 4pm nap may have something to do with him not sleeping better through the night. I get home to a screaming child and a frustrated dad... as if I wasn't frustrated when the day began at 1am.

I fed Liam and he was pretty cheerful the rest of the evening and fell asleep eating at 7:45pm. He woke only 30 minutes later and needed some snuggling... no problem, but please go back to sleep! He did and he is still doing so. We will see what the rest of the night brings.

Ah, how do people handle more than one child????????????? Mom, if you are reading this, I am still saying this is your only grandchild from us...

3 comments:

Tori :) said...

I hear ya Gina! Liv actually sleeps pretty well- waking up once a nite. It's TAJ who is a psycho sleeper. Ever since we moved him out of his crib into a toddler bed... He wakes up several times a nite crying for "choc nilk" aka chocolate milk. We refuse to get him any which makes him scream louder. And he has to be the loudest child I have ever heard. I haven't had more than 2-3 hours of sleep in a row in months.

Katie said...

One more night until you come see us, and if you pump, Liam can stay with Josh and I, and you and Ian can sleep all night! It is amazing how one night's solid rest can affect your whole outlook. It does get better!

Tori, I didn't know you had another baby! Congratulations!

Anissa said...

i had days like these. and usually i had puddles of poop coupled with the urine. so there is one thing that you can look back and be thankful for. :) no poop up the back.