Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy 19 Month Birthday, Liam!

Dear Son,

You are 19 months old today… it’s been fun to call you an 18-month-old the past few weeks. People seem to be able to do that math in their head, but all the other non-landmark months don’t mean much to people without babies. I, however, am excited to report that each and every month of your life has been monumental in it’s own right.

The past two weeks I have been so over-the-top proud of you! You're showing us that you are learning good manners and that you CAN communicate! I can’t express how pleased am am with you! Just a week ago I was able to ask you what you needed and you were able to say no or yes. Something as simple as that has made both of our lives much simpler. I find that to be such a blessing because I know how frustrated you can get when you can’t express your needs.

This morning I gave you some freeze dried apples. When you wanted more you said “please” and I then asked if you wanted more apples… you said “apple” as clear as day! No need for the sign (though you can do that too)! I had made that list of words you are saying the other day, but it would be impossible to keep that list current. You are clearly repeating multiple words/phrases on a daily basis. The verbal explosion is actually happening right before our eyes! We are so amazed at your intelligence.

This past week I’ve been able to show you consequences for disobeying. I’ve been surprised at how well you accept the repercussions of your actions. You are so smart!

I have to share, also this past week, that you experienced rain once again. I got home from work and it was pouring outside. You were at the window when I pulled up. I could see the excitement in your face. I came inside and you started jibber-jabbering about how badly you wanted to go outside, leading me to the door, etc. I scooped you up and took you on the front porch where it was dry… that wasn’t good enough. You writhed your way out of my arms and headed off the porch to get closer to that water falling from the sky. You took off running, raising your arms in the air and said “weeeee” over and over again! It was so wonderful to see your innocent glee over something so "normal" to we adults.

On a sadder note, you are showing the physical signs that reveal your age and ability. You've scratched your knees a couple times this month, you've scraped your cheek and bonked your nose, you've bruised your shins and even pinched your fingers. Your doctor just smiled and commented that you must be having fun outdoors and enjoying a little boy's life. Luckily your pain tolerance is high because among all the bumps and bruises you are also growing a mouthful of teeth! I am very impressed with how pleasantly you've behaved throughout your physical trials.

We are preparing to leave for California tomorrow and in my preparation to make the trip as smooth as it possibly can be, I dug out the baby carrier backpack. I cleaned it up and left it in the kitchen the other night. When you woke up the next morning you, of course, found it and tried dragging it over to me and jibber-jabbered about how excited you were for me to show you how this "new toy" works. Dad happened to have the day off work and planned on mowing the lawn, so you two got to try the backpack out immediately (even with your pajamas on). You were so pleased! Grandma and I stood on the porch with our cameras and you just grinned from ear to ear the WHOLE time!



Once again I want to tell you how marvelous you are! You continue to make our lives full of light and joy. My personal relationship with you is maturing and has become more fulfilling than I ever thought possible! At this point we still have our one nursing session at around 6 or 7 in the morning. I am grateful for that continued bonding time with you when you are dozing and still appear to have that newborn look to you. You are so precious and innocent and loving. Thanks for all your kisses, cuddles, snuggles, giggles and grins. You are loved so very much, Liam!

Love,
Mom

7 comments:

Katie said...

Awwww...Happy 19 months, Liam! Have fun in California!

Tori :) said...

Sei used to mow with Taj in the backpack too! Cute!!
Beautiful letter as usual...

Ashley said...

isn't it amazing how they change practically overnight? it is so fun watching that change though! happen 19 months liam :) little bit will catch up in 4 days!
hugs

Terry said...

I love that father/son mowing the lawn picture!! Liam is doing so great. What an awesome little boy!

utmommy said...

I think your letters are such a wonderful idea. I'm sure he'll love them when he grows up!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

What a cute pic of the boys!

I'll be back later gator to read your post...

Happy 19 months bubby!!

Suzanne said...

Look at that picture of Ian and Liam! How sweet!!! Happy 19 months! :)