Monday, October 26, 2009

4 Years Old

Dear Son,

It's so surreal to me that you are four years old! You've turned into a charming little man so quickly. I've seen tiny glimpses of this grown up you, but it's for real now. You seem more adult by the day lately. You've grown much and continue to amaze us with your charisma and talents. I hope I can make up for the past few months of not writing you a letter with this entry. There is a lot to report.

First, funny pronunciation. For quite some time now (a lot more than four months ago), we started noticing your silent "g" on the words that end in "g". Here is a sample sentence with a few of your versions of these words (in bold): "I eat all my food and it tastes good on my ton because it makes me stron and my legs are lon and dane it, I can't hane on." Daddy and I can't help but repeat your word versions of the silent "g" because it's just so funny! Repeatin funny sayins is just the way we do it around here.

The other thing you've done for a long time, but I haven't mentioned is your overuse of the word "even". Here are a few popular phrases you use: "I didn't even do that." Or, "Are you even going to do that." Or, "I don't even want to do that." Daddy and I have found ourselves adding the word "even" to the middle of our sentences now and then lately too. We are baffled as to where this came from. Did we teach you this unnecessary adverb use or have you used it so much that it's rubbed off on us? We may never know.

We may think your English is pretty funny at times, but overall you have some clear and mature things to tell us. We love getting a report of your day when you get home from preschool. You don't tend to leave any details out. We thoroughly enjoy your pure honesty about your life experiences. You speak from your heart and tell it like it is. Sometimes you throw in a fib for us to weed out of your story, but you recover with a "just kidding" after you get an odd stare from us because we understand your routine attempts to get a rise out of your audience. We love your good humor and teasing ways. You can't resist a little jest now and then.

And what would a darling little man be with just humor? He'd be enough, but you've got more to offer than a good laugh. You've got love in your heart, true concern, charity and trust for others. If someone is sad, you ask why and try to find a time in your life when you felt just as sad to share empathy. If you have an extra treat or toy, you share it or tell me to give it to a favorite person of yours. When I administer your allergy or cold medicine, you completely take my word that it will make you feel better even though it tastes so bad.

You remember what your friends enjoy. Being one of your closest friends, I notice this a lot about you. You know my favorite colors are green and yellow. Any time you see those colors you get very excited, tell me to look and then tell me they are my favorite. You also notice my colors when you have candies such as Skittles. The other day I asked you to share a red Skittle with me. You said that red wasn't my favorite color and I reassured you I did want the red one. You couldn't find a red one and gave me a yellow one instead. Later in the day you came back to the same tiny package of Skittles, found a red and got so excited! You said, "Mom! I found a red one for you!" Your thoughtfulness makes my heart swell, Liam.

This morning you were on your way out the door with your dad to go to school. I stopped you for a kiss, to put a hat on your head and then sent you on your way. Before I shut the door, you turned around and said, "Mom... I'll miss you." I said I'd miss you too and to have a great day. Then you said, "Mom, try not to miss me." You are wonderful to reassure me like that... because you know I have days where I pick you up from school and tell you how much I've missed you. Again, you are so thoughtful - a quality that a lot of folks lose as they grow older. I hope you never lose it.

Thank you for being such a good kid, Liam. You have your monster moments, but you recover and redeem yourself 100 fold. I don't know how many mothers can say that about their sons, but it's true about you. You recognize the good, the bad and the in between. You know what is right and what is grey matter. Heavenly Father is proud of you, your grandparents are proud of you and your dad and I are proud of you. We (still) couldn't have asked for a better son.


Happy Birthday, Liam! Keep up the good work and we'll try to keep up the pace too.

Love you always,

Mom

Photos by Freckles Photography in Spanish Fork, Utah.








8 comments:

Anissa said...

A very sweet tribute to your little 4 year old, who's not so little anymore. Love the silent "g" words. Those are dang cute.
And I know what you mean about picking up on their slang. We are already doing the same thing with some the phrases the twins have. :)

Yvonne said...

O.K. that was TOO CUTE. Just made me tear up and everything. He is such a sweetheart. I love 4 year olds--so different from 3 ; )

It is so obvious that you are enjoying him so much. He sounds like he is very much like his mom.

Klin said...

So adorable. I love seeing Liam in those brief moments at Walmart or wherever I run into you at. He is cute and I can see the love in him. He has the best parents he could have.

sumthinghappened said...

What a great kid! With a great mom!

cpcox99 said...

I love your letters. They are so precious and Liam will cherish them as he gets older. What a cutie pie!

RC - Rambling Along... said...

Always love your letters! (And had to tell you, we did it again. My little guy has the same pajamas as your little guy...)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

He's a cutie.

Justin used to overuse the word "actually." :)

Suzanne said...

Wonderful letter, Gina! I love getting to read these. :)