Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy 21 Month Birthday, Liam!

Dear Son,

Once again the month flew by and you learned much more than I can report. I wish I knew what all is being absorbed in that genius brain of yours.

I’ve read that people your age tend to retain 10 words a day (even though you can’t verbalize it, you remember it). So I’ve tested this theory and sure enough, you don’t forget much I tell you or say in your presence.

I am sure if you could speak or attempt to repeat everything you hear, you’d blow me away with your brilliance. Of course you do that anyway… I guess it doesn’t take much to impress me when it comes to you. Just about everything you do is something special to me. Just the way you move, jabber, eat, drink, sign, smile, goof off, skip, run, jump, dance, play, color, draw and sleep. And if I’m in the right mood, your tantrums amuse me.



Speaking of tantrums… you’ve found that those fits come in handy. Luckily they don’t last long, but I feel bad you have to resort to expressing yourself that way. People your age get so frustrated when you can’t spell it out for your parents. I am sure it would wear on me too if I couldn’t communicate the way I needed to. I am sure you feel like a foreigner in a surprisingly comfortable place. A place you can’t escape…

You have found that clinging to my leg in or around the unfamiliar is the best idea for you… that keeping me from moving from my standing position is the way to go, that somehow this will make your anxiety go away. Sure, it’s a phase, one of many interesting ones. It’s a good reminder that I’m your person of choice, that I’m the mom, the favorite, the gal you want by your side… it’s actually a very sweet compliment you’ve paid me quite often this past month. So thank you.

My favorite thing about you this month has been your improved endurance for prayers. You have been folding your arms quite well for a long time at meal times, but this past week you’ve folded your arms and stayed reverent for the longer family prayers in the mornings and evenings. Pride surges through both your dad and me each time you do this. Really, I can’t describe how much joy this brings me.

Second favorite thing, the word “yellow”… when uttered from your lips it’s like a song from the heavens. “LEL-LOW!” Oh so sweet! You start low and end high and it’s just. so. DARLING! (The way you say “purple” is pretty cute too… sounds like poo poo, but you and I both know what you are talking about.)

I know I am missing a lot of details of the month’s milestones, so please forgive me. Just writing what I have thus far confirms in my heart how much I really adore you. I have gotten frustrated more this month than any in your life, I think, but you’ve shown me much joy that has compensated for those times that we’ve frustrated each other. Just the fact that you are weaned and sleeping longer and more soundly, makes me a better mom for you. I am extremely grateful for that. I have the energy required to fully participate in your life and be a better mom to you. A hump was hurdled this past month mentally for me. Something clicked and life got easier, or maybe just smoother. I can’t really explain it, but I feel like I am finally getting the hang of this mom thing.

Thanks for your patience with me and for being so well behaved even when things are out of your control. I know those times that you are “acting out” are stemming from something that isn’t your fault. I am glad I understand that so I can better remedy the situation making it less likely to happen again. I want you to be happy at every moment. I love that you try so hard to stay happy and make us smile in the process. You really are a child of God, something miraculous and wonderful. If you don’t change the world in your lifetime, you’ll have at least changed mine. I applaud you for that. Amazing work you do at such a young age. You sure are destined to touch many more lives in the countless years to come.

Love you always,
Mom

9 comments:

Robin said...

Wow, Lamb is almost 2! It sounds like you are dealing very well with all the testing that little ones tend to do with us. I am so proud of you guys and your morning and evening family prayers, I wish we were as diligent. Keep up the good work. Love you both.

utmommy said...

They grow up way too fast!

I love the picture of the two of you coloring outside:)

Anonymous said...

Happy 21 months Liam, you are growing up so fast,we miss you and Love you tons. Once again Gina a very nice letter to Liam. He truely is a very special boy and loves to please.love Grandma-dixie

David said...

It is scary to think about how much 21 month old kids now. Sadie messes with me just to show how smart she it I think.

www.stepherz.com said...

That's the words right out of my mouth. I can't get enough amusement out of these kids. I could just stare at them all day.

I can't believe he'll be 2 before long. That's so crazy. Doesn't time fly? I love every stage, but I do wish sometimes they didn't hurry so.

He's so bright and beautiful. You've done good work, Momma!

Katie said...

If you don’t change the world in your lifetime, you’ll have at least changed mine.

I've felt this way about my own children and never been able to express it as beautifully. I'm so glad things are becoming easier for you now. It's amazing to me how much easier life gets when children can communicate---so it just gets better!

Mel said...

Gina- wow, Liam is so lucky to have such a great mom! I love how you've documented all the cute things he does and says.

Terry said...

The first time Sadie laid down on the floor and cried in a fit, I thought, Oh how cute, terrible twos already. Somehow tantrums on a one year old are easier to deal with than on a two or three year old.

There is no doubt Liam knows a ton!! Like you said, he just doesn't verbalize all he knows yet but he doesn't miss a beat, I'm sure!

Anissa said...

Happy 21st bday Liam! Such a big big boy. And so cute too. Can't wait to meet him!