Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Swimming last night

My partner in crime, I mean good friend from work, Deana, invited us to go swimming with her and the kiddos last night. She and her hubby own a condo complex and have access to the pool anytime they want to swim. We've been meaning to go the past couple months, but the stars didn't align until last night (with some coaxing from Deana).

We had a great time! Liam was in heaven. His giggles and squeals were echoing like crazy in there!

He remained on the first step for about 20 minutes and then he slowly branched out the second and third steps. He was so brave! I'd let him play and just stay near to see what he'd do.

Since the other kids were playing in the pool, there was a small current. That current would make Liam lose his balance every now and then on that third step (ie, water to the chest level on him). At one point that current pulled him off the edge and on his way to the fourth step (over his head) and he panicked and started swimming to keep his chin above the water. I was right there to help him but I was so proud of him for trying so hard on his own to get back to that third step. I thought he was pretty freaked out but he went back to wading and splashing as if nothing happened.

He jumped off the edge into my arms 3 times and I'd let his head go under each time. He didn't seem to mind as if he'd held his breath anyway. What a water baby he is!

9 comments:

D said...

I'm jealous! Swimming in the middle of winter sounds so wonderful and different from the normal daily routine. It's been cold here recently and there aren't many indoor pools so we will just have to wait until it warms up in March. :) Not too far off anyway...

Tori :) said...

Livie is the same way. She LOVES the water! Good for Liam!!

Preds Girl said...

So cute!!

Yvonne said...

Looks like he loves the water. That is so great. Loved the little slide show.

www.stepherz.com said...

Yayy for Liam! He's a brave little merman!

utmommy said...

I'm jealous! I miss swimming. It's our favorite thing to do in the summer. Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

GO Liam!!!! He's a regular little swimmer.

I can't swim in the winter, it's TOOO cold for me but we'll be at the water park all summer hopefully.

Last summer my little one was VERY cautious and didn't play in the water much unless we were holding him. Hopefully since he's older he'll be as brave as Liam and enjoy it a little more.

Nicole said...

So cute! We wetn to the YMCA today adn Eli was DYING to get in the pool. Poor kid has to wait a month before we have swim classes...he's a water baby too!

Terry said...

How fun to swim in the winter! You have awesome friends.