Friday, January 04, 2008

Resolution #1 Complete

With the added encouragement from Rose, Liam is free of his binky as of January 2nd, 2008! My goal was to go cold turkey as soon as we were back from Indiana. Rose knew of this so-called goal. I, however, was sick with a cold (and so is Liam) so I wasn't willing to lose sleep until I was feeling better.

So Wednesday, January 2nd, I took Liam to Rose's. I realized I had forgotten the binky for his nap time. Rose immediately scolded me jokingly saying, "I thought you were going cold turkey when you got back from Indiana..." I told her that was the plan, but I was sick and didn't want to lose sleep right now. I would try it on Friday night and take naps with Liam on the weekend to make up for lost sleep (or maybe not). So I went to get the binky and then sat it on her microwave away from Liam's sight.

I picked him up a little after 5pm. Rose had great news. Liam had taken a nap without the binky! SLEPT! for 2.5 hours! I was floored! She said she didn't mention the binky and neither did Liam and he did just fine. I was determined to try it that night. She said she didn't mean to rush me and that it might be different when he is home. I said I was going to try it anyway!

So I did. And it worked! I can't get over it. He got through the whole night without it! He mentions it, but I continue to change the subject and it seems to work. No fighting. I am stunned.

So do you think the local news will pick up my story? I am beyond thrilled. I can't get it off my mind. I was seriously ready for major fits and a few relapses. What a blessing to have a good friend like Rose to initiate the process. I feel so fortunate that Liam really was ready. Hallelujah!

15 comments:

Klin said...

Depends on how "local" you are talking. Local neighborhood/church group? I have an in with the editor and I know for a fact that she would like to pick up on a good story.

Write it up. Let's submit it.

BTW- None of my "get rid of binky" plans ever worked that smoothly.

Yay for you and Liam.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm celebrating with you. I still remember the day when the binky was banished. Yay and hooray!! The NON-Superwoman Chronicles

jolibe said...

Congrats on the major milestone! I know exactly how thrilled you are - I was feeling it a few ago too!! Yay for our both of the Liam's!

D said...

Hallelujah! I love it when things like that go soooo much easier than we expect! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I've had family tell us that Little Dude is too old for his "nuk" (as we call it), at just under a year. Thank you for sharing your story!

Little Dude can go long periods without it, so hopefully we will continue on that path and banish it completely around the same age as Liam!

Thank you!

Terry said...

Hurray! I am so happy for you. Like Mrs. Monkey, my binky banishing plans didn't go so smoothly either. Eliza was a little traumatized by my initial attempts, I think. ;)

Gina said...

Yeah, I knew posting about it might curse it. Liam has only gotten sicker the past few days. So sick that we took pity on him last night and let him have a little "comfort" so he could cough like crazy and still soothe himself back to sleep. He's been begging for his binky like crazy too as he's gotten sicker. Yesterday he wouldn't even take a nap. 2.5 hours trying and he wouldn't do it. AHHHHH!

Katie said...

Darn it! I hope that Liam feels better soon and you're able to get back on track.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!!!!

How wonderful! I need to start weaning her as well.

Unknown said...

Wow, I am happy for you. My friend staged a whole elaborate, let's take the binky to the big dumpster man. I guess you will have to save the dramatic production for the next milestone. Congrats. I think you did really good. I never got my first off of her binky until she was three. And that was one long 4 hour drive with crying the whole way. Man, now that you got me reminiscing I am almost jealous of how easy you made it seem.

Yvonne said...

Congrats! That is great news. (Hope you feel better)

Daisy said...

YAY for Liam!! YAY for Gina too!!

Anissa said...

You've given me hope for the day we banish Ethan's pac-ti-fier. I'm not looking forward to it, but maybe I'll get lucky like you did. :) ha!

cpcox99 said...

Yay for you! My kids never got attached to pacifiers. They suck their thumbs....Brady was easy to break the habit...Landon not so easy. Wish me luck!

Kate said...

Go ROSE! Best babysitter EVER :-)