Thursday, January 10, 2008

More doings in Indiana

The day after Christmas we met up with my close friend, Kelley, and her family. (Kelley and I have been close since we were 14 years old.) We went to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis. I've been wanting to take Liam there. It's a place I loved going to as a kid, so I knew he would LOVE it!

Kelley's family has season passes and they got us in as their guests for free! We were grateful because we knew Liam would only last a couple hours at best, and this is a place you can spend 8+ hours and still not see everything. We'll have to take him back each time we are in Indiana so he can slowly see all the exhibits. Kelley knew what ones he'd specifically enjoy at his age, so we first went to the Dinosaur Exhibit where the kids learn about fossils and can become paleontologists digging up bones.







After dressing up as an egg stealing dinosaur, we moved on to the trains! Besides tons of model train exhibits, they had a real train that you could go inside! The windows were actually flat screen TVs and there was video of scenery passing you by. When I stepped in there, I thought we were moving and lost my balance!



Next was the featured exhibit, Dale Chihuly's blown glass! They had metal frames and glass-like plastic bulbs for kids to make their own sculptures! There was a revolving circle of chairs that you could lean back and stare up at the Fireworks of Glass sculpture, the largest permanent sculpture of blown glass by the renowned artist himself.




Next was a HUGE playzone for toddlers. A big river water table, a sand table, play houses, etc. It was so cool and I wish I had more photos. My camera's battery was dying so I would open it once for each exhibit and get maybe one photo.




After the playzone we went to stand in line for the carousel ride. This is an old fashion classic carousal that I remember riding as a kid. The classic music was booming and I was enjoying myself... Liam, on the other hand, was not too happy about the ride. It was too close to nap time and he didn't want to be on the non-moving horse we were instructed to put him on.



After a stop to the ice cream shop where the kids can pretend to serve up ice cream to customers and enjoy a fake sundae, we headed to the holiday alpine slide. I didn't get a photo of Liam on the slide since we went down from the 2nd floor to the 1st as a family. Liam loved it and we loved watching/hearing his reactions. Here is a photo of the boys standing in line.



We said good-bye to our friends so we could deliver Liam to nap time. He fell asleep within two minutes of getting out of the parking garage. We made it back to my parent's town and kept on driving around so Liam could rest. Ian remembered seeing a beloved White Castle on our way to/from the hotel pool the previous night, so we made our way to the healthiest (snort) burger place in town. (We had to get our fill of goodness we can't find in Utah.)


6 comments:

D said...

I'm jealous! What a great museum! That looks like a ton of fun.

Daisy said...

I love the picture of him in the dinosaur suit stealing eggs, very cute.

Don't you just LOVE white castle burgers... they are so good. Mike and I found that they sell them at Sam's club. They are good but not as good as from an actual White Castle.

Jamie said...

Wow what a cool museum! I have never been to one, for myself of for Avery... we have one not too far away too, so thanks for the push!
Never had White Castle either... sounds good!

Jamie said...

Wanted to tell you really quickly that I got a small booklet made up through Blurb. It appears to be printed through Snapfish and the photo quality is so-so at best. Still think I will do my blog though...

Yvonne said...

What a fun place--looks like Liam had such a great time. (well, except for the carousel).

Terry said...

Wow! That looks like so much fun! I am jealous. We have passes to the Richmond Children's Museum. It isn't anywhere near as cool or as big! I've never heard of White Castle but it looks yummy.