Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sad Happy Day

Church was really great today. We were on time and were able to sustain a new bishopric. Liam did well in Sacrament meeting AND in Nursery. Amazing.

We got home from church and found that two loose dogs had dug a burrow into our chicken coop and killed our chickens. One dog was still in the coop with the other looking on.

I was so sad. I was so sick over it.

Ian took care of calling dispatch and reporting the dogs (we knew who the owners were). Both the police department and animal control showed up to get statements. Since chickens aren't safe in our coop, we fear that these dogs will get loose again and hurt our cats or even Liam. They killed our chickens just to kill them, they did not eat them. I found out from another neighbor that these dogs are neglected. So that is kinda scary to think about if they are hungry and bored and reverting back to their husky/wolf instincts.

Liam still has no idea.

He played outside in the sprinklers after his nap. He got completely soaked and chilled. I gave him his warm outdoor bath earlier than usual. He's had an outside bath every night since last Sunday. He is always asking to take a bath now... always! Last night after the rodeo it was already dark out and getting breezy. He kept his whole body covered with water. I've never seen him that calm in a bath before. Like he was enjoying a hot jacuzzi.

Here is a photo from this evening's bath. Love those beautiful eyes!


12 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that you posted about the bath in the same post as the chickens...oh my goodness, I just cried and then I was so happy to have a laugh. You are such a fun mom. I am way too lazy to comply with an outdoor bath every night. Liam is one lucky kid.

Anonymous said...

How horrible about the chickens! And what horrid dogs! I hope the police actually do something with this.

Liam is adorable, as usual, so I'm glad the day wasn't totally horrible...

jolibe said...

That makes me sick to just read about it! I am so sorry. And I do hope that justice is served - for the safety of the neighborhood. Sounds like a very bittersweet day. Liam, as always, is the shining light for his Mommy and Daddy! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the way you always have peeking pics of him. Sorry to hear about the chickens :-( That sucks. The outside bath sounds like such fun! We should have tried that this weekend with all the heat. Will keep that on the list of fun things to try.

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you had a nice time at church, but that is so sad about your chickens! Those dog owners need to be responsible for what happened. It drives me nuts when dogs are let loose around the neighborhood, especially dangerous dogs. No wonder you are worried now. Why do a few people have to spoil it for everyone else? Grr... I'm so sorry.

Oh and Liam looks so darling in the tub and I love your new blog look!

Karla said...

I'm also sad to hear about your chickens! I have a child that is deathly afraid of dogs so it particularly irks me when I see dogs wandering in the streets. I'm afraid she'll be frightened into running out in the street or something!

Klin said...

Freakin' dogs. That's just wrong. Owners like that upset me. I've seen a couple of them running back and forth. One big and one small. The others are a mid sized black one and his side kick. :( Sorry about the chickens. That really stinks.

Liam was cute in church. He has such beautiful eyes.

Katie said...

As much as that sucks about the chickens, I want to point out that dogs (usually) are only as bad as their owners make them.

Anonymous said...

That may be so, but why should they be allowed to keep such animals. These animals can't be rehabilitated.
Its to bad that stuff like this has to happen and the owners get to keep there animals, it has to happen three times to have the animals taken away. This time it was chickens, next time its a child or some person pet who knows.
They should treat people the same way they do for truant teenagers. (They throw the parents in jail if they cant keep their kids in school.)
Throw owners in jail if they cant control their animals and then take the animal rights away.

Saedi said...

That is so sad! Didn't animal control take them? That is so ridiculous to me!

Daisy said...

Sorry about your chickens, that really sucks.

Liam certainly is cute in his little outside bath though. Where did you get that idea? I couldn't do that here though, Luke would probably turn into one big mosquito bite instead of a boy!

Terry said...

I have no tolerance for mean dogs. I like dogs but I don't think people should have mean ones. I'm glad you know who the owners are.

I love this outdoor bath thing you've been doing! You are the best mom! I am way to boring and lazy to do that but my kids would love it too!