Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Roseola? What?

I picked Liam up from the sitter today and when she handed him to me she said, "Look at his belly."

I said in a fun high pitch voice to my son as I poked his belly, "Is that your belly? That is one cute belly!"

She said, "No, look at his belly. He has a rash of sorts. I think he has Roseola."

I lift his shirt a little more, "OHHHH!"

She explained the illness that she thought he had and I immediately went home to reference my Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy and Baby's First Year. And what do you know? She was right!
Page #633

How to Recognize it. Your baby may be fussier than usual and have a fever of more than 101 degrees F for two to four days. When the fever subsides and the baby seems to be feeling better, you will notice a pink rash, mainly on the baby's trunk. The rash is not uncomfortable or itchy for your baby. You can't be sure the baby has roseola until the rash appears as the fever resolves. The rash usually lasts 24-48 hours.

What you can do? Other than treating for the fever, there isn't much you need to do for roseola.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad you figured it out, though.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Poor Liam! Don't you hate it when you diagnose something but there's still not a darn thing you can do about it?

Hope he feels better soon.

Mall Worker said...

Poor little guy! At least it doesn't last long.

Little Hensley Fam said...

Okay this is so weird... Eliza had the EXACT same thing happen.. but honestly I thought she got a rash because of something she ate! She had a fever for several days, and was fussy, and then after it was gone she got a rash... too weird that they are having similar symptons right now! Hope he's getting better! I think Eliza is on the tale end of it now.

Nettie said...

Good for you for figuring that one out! I guess most kids end up getting it. I didn't figure it out on any of mine till the fourth one! Hope he feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

AH -- roseola!!! My first son had that at 2 and I belive my other son got it a few months ago. High fever followed by the rash. Just think -- they only get it once!!!