Thursday, November 08, 2007

Repeat, repeat, repeater

Oh my goodness! Can we say official two year old talker?

Of course everything Liam does is adorable, but the constant repeating of obvious information is a little over the top some times. Especially when he's in trouble and he starts telling me something ever-so-interesting not related to his current state being in a time out, etc.

In sacrament meeting on Sunday he kept running away (and driving me batty). At one point he tripped and lightly fell and... that was my cue to swoop, dive and catch him before he went any further.

As we were walking back to our seats, he kept saying, "Mama, fall... Mama, fall..." and on and on and on. I'd whisper in his ear, "Yes, I know you fell, but if you didn't run away from Mama, you wouldn't fall. You need to listen to Mama. You need to stay here and play with your puzzle or eat your snacks."... "Mama, fall... [pause] Mama, fall."... "I am sorry you fell, but I think you are okay. Let's play with this puzzle."

And this is only one example. As we all know, toddlers absolutely have to tell us obvious information over and over for some reason. It's funny and cute most of the time, but once in awhile I have to find something to distract him away from his fixation so he'll stop. Then a couple minutes later he'll tell me two more times. :)

Ian can tell you that "Dah-ee" is Liam's favorite repeat word whenever he is around. Ian is so gracious to say, "Yes, son" each and EVERY time.

Every day Liam does multiple things that are noteworthy, but today I had to report this funny one.


Liam with his hands in the pockets observing the ducks.

7 comments:

Tori :) said...

Look how old and mature he looks!! Wow!!
Just wait until he's four and wants to tell "knock knock" jokes for 1/2 an hour straight...

Yvonne said...

I love that your husband is so patient and says, "Yes, son" each time. That is so great. I love the picture.

D said...

Kaden did that yesterday too. We saw my cousin at Costco and the whole way home from the store he kept saying, "bye-bye kararee" (her name is Karalee). He said it quite a few times later in the day too and in such a sad voice. He didn't want to say bye.

Suzanne said...

Ack! The repeating stuff drives me batty! It's like a parrot or something. I usually have to tune it out after awhile or I get testy. "J" still doing it and he's 4! How sweet of your husband to patiently reply each time!

Have I told you how much I like your new profile pic? It's so cute! :)

jolibe said...

Oh yes, I'm living that life right now too! My Liam provides us the commentary on anything and everything in sight (and sometimes even on noises too). Like when our dog is barking. "No-no gud grrl. no bark. no bark. gud grrl bark. no-no gud grrl."

Anissa said...

I can't wait for those toddler talking moments. I too think they are extremely cute and funny. It will be great to have them actually talk back so that I'm not always just talking to myself.

Oh, I forgot to comment on one other thing from the leaves video. I thought it was so funny that Ian was outside in his short sleeve shirt and shorts and Liam was in pants, jacket, etc. That is SOOOO like DJ. Never gets cold.

Terry said...

Ahhh...Church can be tough sometimes. What a cutie! I love the picture from the back. He looks kind-of mature but he still looks like a baby. Well, that doesn't make sense but I like it.