Thursday, November 08, 2007

Conversations with Grandma

I was delighted when Liam picked up the phone off the table and said, "Graw?"

We called Grandma Dixie. She answered right away and I put her on speaker so Liam could hold the phone and I could listen and translate.

He started out the conversation by telling her about his banana that he was snacking on. She was absolutely tickled that he wanted to just chat on the phone.

He got down from his chair at the table and started pacing and roaming like his Mama does when she is on the phone. Cracked. Me. Up.

Grandma was giggling as she listened so intently to everything Liam told her. She was soaking up every moment longer she had him on the phone. This was in fact Liam's first real telephone conversation, you see (and we thought it would be brief). He'll say hi or bye once in awhile but is never interested in holding the phone or keeping his grandparents on the line.

I took some video of their conversation. It was so precious how he'd dart from subject to subject. With the pacing and roaming, a toddler can find a lot that catches his eye to talk about. The words toys, cars, blocks, balls and happy were used a lot. He even corrected Grandma once when she was talking about something other than his truck... he said, "No, no, Graw... truck!"

11 comments:

Klin said...

So sweet. Liam is darling and has a wonderful grandma! But you knew that already ;)

utmommy said...

I love listening to them talk on the phone for the first time. It is so cute.

It's so interesting to me how much kids watch and pay attention to things that we don't even think twice about. He wanted to walk around and talk, just as his mom does. Too cute!

Suzanne said...

Just precious, Gina! What a treasure! :)

Anonymous said...

Too adorable!!!

Anissa said...

Oh man. This is precious. I'm surprised at how long this activity kept his attention. You'd think he'd get bored with it after just a minute or two. Lucky Grandma!

Little Hensley Fam said...

this is sooo funny! I can't wait for Eliza to want to talk, as soon as I put the phone up to her ear she "freezes" and doesn't say anything! =)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

That's adorable. I love when they realize that there is someBODY on the other end!

Anonymous said...

What a handsome little guy. His phone conversations SO resemble my 2 year olds. When my cell phone rings he runs and grabs it like it's HIS phone and someone is calling for HIM. Aren't two year olds absolutely adorable?

It's great you were able to catch that conversation on video. He'll love seeing that in a few years.

jolibe said...

What a great idea to video it! Such a cutie! Isn't just amazing watching your lil' guy becoming his own little person. I am blown away practically everyday by my 2-year-old. It's the sweet moments like this that help us get through those tantrums! ;)

Terry said...

I love how he copied you by pacing while talking on the phone. That was so cute to watch. I also enjoyed hearing Graw's Utah accent. I know she doesn't live there anymore but I could still hear the accent in her voice through the phone and camera. I love the Utah accent. I miss Utah. Liam is a doll! (Its okay to call toddler boys dolls, right)?

MK said...

Isn't it fun to hear the talk to other people, and listen to the funny things they say!