Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Flu

Liam woke yesterday morning at 4:30am vomiting.

From then on out until 1pm he was vomiting about twice an hour.

It was a learning experience.

After we changed him a few times, we ran out of jammies... and sheets... and wised up.

I started cuddling him in our bed between episodes.

When the warning cry came, a towel was ready to catch the mess.

Towels are much more plentiful... and absorbent.

The cuddling went from 6am to about 11am.

I loved every part of it.

Cuddling my baby and being there for him like that was very special to me.

Obviously I can handle vomit without getting ill myself.

The afternoon and evening had a few more small episodes. One included an attempt to cuddle with Daddy, but he vomited on him instead. It took a lot of will power for Ian not to throw up too.

Liam threw up one last time at 1am this morning. It was such a [gross and wet] grand finally to the whole experience. I had to completely bathe him in the night and switch out the sheets once again [including the bumper pads this time]. I can still hear him whimpering as I cleaned him up and then made him sit on the floor with my silky unmentionables since his silky blankies were soiled. Thank goodness for silky unmentionables... we went through a lot of those too the past little while. (He has a major fixation on all things silky in the house including my silk robe and an old skirt, slip and the above mentioned.)

He drank lots of pedialyte and rice milk today. We attempted chicken and stars at 11am and he held that down. We tried that again for dinner and he did well. He later ate half a bread stick. I think his belly is still upset, but no action has taken place since 1am this morning-- thank goodness!

He woke an hour after I put him to bed tonight and he couldn't be settled down. I thought maybe it had to do with the fact Ian is out of town tonight. I always wonder if one of our absences bothers him when it comes to his bed time routine. Like he knows if one of us isn't here as he sleeps. I gave in after trying to calm him down for few minutes (which usually works with a binky back in place, a silky something and a kiss on the head). He ended up coming downstairs and cuddled sweetly as we watched 13 going on 30.

I have to report that when we talked to Ian on the phone tonight, Liam said "night night" very clearly and then said "love YOO" really cute and pointed to the phone who was Daddy. Melted my heart as I am sure it did Daddy's too.

17 comments:

Klin said...

Poor Liam. That throwing up bit really sucks.

How sweet that he is beginning to clearly say those special words.

Hope you and Ian don't get the bug.

Yvonne said...

I have always felt so bad when they are sick--especially when they don't understand. Using the towels was a wise move--you're right about them bieng plentiful and absorbent.

Sure hope the bug doesn't travel through the house.

Take care.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh, poor baby.. that's miserable..
poor mommy too.

Tori :) said...

Ugh. I hate throwing up, so POOR POOR Liam! I'm glad he's starting to feel better.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that he's keeping food down. Sick babies are a sad sight :-(

Mall Worker said...

Poor little guy. Stomach bugs are the worst. I'm glad he's feeling better though!

Nikki Neurotic said...

Aww, poor thing.

Cheryl said...

Catching puke is not fun. Mason had the flu yesterday too. It must be going around. I think he got it from Nursery. Blahh.
Have you ever heard of the BRAT diet? That's what I follow after my kids have the flu. It seems not to upset their tender tummies.
B read
R ice
A pplesauce
T Toast
Basically anything white and no dairy.
Hope Liam's doing better. Thats one nice thing about kids getting sick, they will actually cuddle. Sweet.
Good Luck.

Anissa said...

Such a tough time, I'm sure. I dread the first flu attack. I wonder how I'll handle two little pukers at the same time?
I'm so glad he is feeling better now and you're on the road to getting back to "the norm". Sometimes the norm seems so boring, but then sickness or teething hits and you long for the norm to return.

The Mathews Family said...

Hi Gina! I found your blog a little bit ago through a comment you left over at Stephanie's (For Better or For Worse) blog. I saw your post about PERC and thought I'd take my girls to check it out. We.Love.It! Thanks so much for that post. Would you mind if I mentioned it on my blog and linked to you?

You have such a cute little guy there! What a doll! I know what you mean about sick kids. So sad when they aren't feeling great... but so wonderful to be able to do nothing but snuggle. I'm glad he's feeling better. (I learned really quickly when the vomiting starts to just cover the couches with blankets and ride the whole thing out!) And now I've just written a novel in your comments box. Bye now!
-Jessica

Cheryl said...

B is for Banana, lost my mind. But you probably know that.

Danell said...

Hope Liam is feeling better! I have to say, as much as I hate it when Emma is sick, it does feel so good to cuddle them.

www.stepherz.com said...

Poor little guy! I'm so sorry he was so sick. Throwing up is the worst too. I'd rather have 10 colds back to back than one tummy flu.

cpcox99 said...

Welcome to the next step in motherhood. You're now initiated!! I'm sorry. It's so not fun.

Terry said...

Poor Liam. It stinks when baby throws up for baby and for Mom.

The I love you story is so sweet too! Thats the best.

MK said...

It is no fun having a sick baby is it. Well, I hope you is doing better this week!

Angel Baby said...

Oh no!!

I'm so sorry to hear this... though it seems I'm (really) late catching up because things are already better. I hope.

You have totally been on my mind a lot lately. I've been peeking in to read every now and then, but with Dave gone and school starting up I just got so busy. I'm sorry Gina!

Love you!