Sunday, December 19, 2010

Remembering the Good

So, it's been a rough week. Liam has reached a point in his life where he can't control his impulses and anger to the extreme where those around him are getting hurt. I am praying that this next week proves he can handle this new school and his new peers. I hope he treats his teachers with respect. I hope he makes a really special friend.

Every fiber of my body wants him to be happy. So happy that we find him being resilient and easy going once again. We'll continue to dwell on the good moments rather than the sad ones until this phase passes. It's all we can do other than restating how wonderful he is and how much we love him.

A close friend of mine (Jessica) was bursting with mother pride on Friday as she told me about her daughter's first successful dance recital. Her glee and excitement reminded me of my own pride just last month.

I was with my friend Danell and her children at an indoor amusement park for kids. Liam wanted to go on a ride that is much like a roller coaster that goes around in a circle at a high speed then stops and does the same thing backwards.

He hopped on. The ride started. He put those strong arms up in the air and smiled the cutest smile! I stood on the sidelines cheering my unashamed brains out! I was so excited that he was the only kid on that ride unafraid. I couldn't stop screaming and cheering him on!

I was beyond proud! He is going to be my roller coaster buddy one day soon. And what a cool thing that is for me to realize. Pure joy in the thought.



3 comments:

Anissa said...

Hang in there friend. I'm so sorry it's rough right now. I'm glad you're trying to focus on those special moments. This too will pass... Liam will be in my prayers.

D said...

LOVE those photos! He's made so many huge adjustments so well. He'll make it though this one too. Keep focusing on the good things. You are such a good Mama!

Danell said...

That was such a fun day! I can't believe how awesome he was on that roller coaster. Hang in there - you are a great mom, Gina. Love you.