Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Inspiration on boys

God bless D for sending me this article about toddler boys and their tendencies. I seriously have been worried about Liam's violent words and actions lately. Being raised in a girls only household, I have never really had to deal with crazy little boys. (Even my dad would comfort us by reminiscing of his days as a little girl.) So this gave me great comfort today.

Reading that article also reminded me of the conversations I had with Liam this morning.

"Mom, I am Lightning McQueen and you are Sally, okay? You talk Sally."

So we had a very interesting exchange as Sally and Lightning McQueen. It felt weird like I was playing barbies, but we were just talking with no props. Plain silliness.

Then right before I left him with the sitter, he said, "Kate had two trees! And we have two trees too! In our back garden!"

That's right, Liam. In our back garden. ;)

11 comments:

D said...

That's impressive that he is getting the one to one correspondence concept- the 2 trees. He's young to get that already!

Yeah I loved the article for the same reason. Kaden seems to both cry a lot and shoot everything with his patow patow rays. It's nice to know that both behaviors are normal and part of him growing into a strong and loving man.

RCRambling said...

Gina - Thanks for sharing! It was a good article, and helps me understand Little Dude's temper better, as well as some of his very physical play.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this article. As mom to boys, we need to be reminded of this.

Leatha said...

Thank you for posting this article. Even though Raja is so young, he and his sister are SO different - even though he isn't even a year old, I can already see how much more aggressive he is and how much more comfort he needs than she ever did.
And I love the extremely silly role plays!

Klin said...

Yeah, boys are different. Girls don't usually make a gun out of anything they touch.

Boys get easier and girls, well, don't.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the article helped. Dr. Thompson is amazing. As a mom of two boys, I found his answers to be very comforting.

Anonymous said...

I sent this to my mom. We laughed and agreed on every single word. I have a three year old son, and my brother has two boys.(2 yr. old and a 5 mth old). From this article we both know we have our hands full.

Suzanne said...

Boys do and say interesting things sometimes, don't they? "J" loves Lightning McQueen at our house too. That is so sweet that Liam wanted to play CARS with you! :)

Anonymous said...

Um, as a fellow Sally, I'm looking forward to going and reading this article!

Clare said...

thanks for sharing the article, i am going to go read it now!

Anonymous said...

I'm used to it now since the baby is my 3'rd boy. I don't like violent toys (guns, swords, even water guns) and would never buy that type of thing when my boys were younger. Hubby was set on buying our little one a bow and arrow set for x-mas, needless to say I'm not too thrilled.

It's a phase that they go through and will soon out grow.