Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Trimming the Tree and other Christmas Fun




Liam helped me trim the tree last Saturday. He was so excited when he woke up from his nap to find all the Christmas stuff ready for him to help unload and spread all over the place! We started with the lights. He dragged them around for awhile and then tried to help me put them on the tree. Then he was delighted to try to hang the ornaments up. "Try" being the key word. He mainly just handed them to me to put on because somehow they didn't fall when I would do it.





Earlier in the day we had gone around Southern Salt Lake area shopping for a piece of furniture to house the bigger TV. While riding around, we found a sign for Gardner Village. We noted the address and went to find it.

We found it, but we found it was an outdoor shopping experience and it was a bitterly cold day. So we put Liam in the stroller and hoped he'd stay happy. After going in a few shops with lots of wonderful treasures, we finally let Liam have a break as we walked to the bakery to get him a reward for being so good. He carried our bag of treasures all the way there and held tight to it as he shopped the bakery goodies. He had a couple small gingerbread men and was pretty content as we drove to IKEA to scope out another furniture idea.

IKEA was busy busy, but we scouted to our destination and found the piece set up in the showroom. We sat on the comfy furniture as we mulled over the price verses the work to put it together ourselves. All the while, Liam found some kids china set and started dropping the pieces one by one. We put the stuff back, glad that it wasn't broken and bolted out of IKEA.

Liam fell asleep on the way home and transferred well to his crib so I could try to get a nap in too. That didn't work too well for me since I woke up after 20 minutes thinking of all I needed to get done before we leave for Indiana on Christmas Eve. AND I really wanted to run to JC Penney to return a sweater and get a better one for our date that night. So I did just that... and I got Liam an outfit too. (After fighting the parking lot traffic at the mall for 25 minutes... Wowee crazy people holding up the rest of us while they wait 5 minutes for someone to walk to their car, unlock it, load it and load themselves, then leave... I would never do that! Though we do tend to go real slow when we know someone is waiting for our spot because they couldn't possibly park a little further away...)

So, after going to the mall, Liam wakes, we trim the tree. After playing around for awhile, it was time for Liam to try out a new babysitter (Brittany) while we headed to the Energy Solutions Arena for the Jazz game. This little teenage girl did great with Liam and I was so glad we tried her out since our regular, Meagan, was sick and couldn't do it for us. Brittany couldn't believe how well Liam did and how easily he went to bed too! I was just pleased that things went well. I had a list of house rules and Liam's bed time routine written out... I had Shari on call 2 blocks away just in case something happened... I am sure Miss Brittany thought I was a complete basket case, but she smiled and happily said, "No problem!"

It was a great day all around! Liam is such a prince! ...And so is my hubby! We had a great night out!

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

It's so fun that he wants to help.

Sounds like you had a fantastic day. Have fun in Indiana.

Anissa said...

You are a brave Mom leaving Liam with a new sitter. I don't know how I will ever get to a point when I'm comfortable doing that. I would be the same paranoid basket case that you were. :)

What a great day for you all. I'm so happy for you! And I love that tree!

Cheryl said...

So cute with Liam carrying the big string of lights. I love the tree, we haven't done a real tree since the first year we were married.
We just bought a piece of furniture similar that the one you looked at. I researched it forever. We finally ended up buying it at Overstock.com. I like that one from Ikea though, I didn't see that one.
Gardner Village is such a fun place. Liam is such a good little shopper.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a wonderful date, and that the babysitter worked out well.

All ready for your trip?

P.S. What an interesting tree!

RC said...

Love the pictures of Liam with the lights! Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas!

Aly said...

I love your tree, and miss having a real one myself. Liam is getting so big! The more the kids get into the holiday the more I enjoy it myself. It sounds like you're the same way.

cpcox99 said...

Gina - sounds like a crazy busy day - so that's nice you got a great evening out at the end of all that. :) Have a very Merry Christmas!!

Terry said...

Liam is so cute and so happy. I am glad things went well with your baby-sitter. Liam is such a good boy!