Friday, February 02, 2007

More "toys"

So I finally got a chance to go to the dollar store the other night. I bought him paper cups, balloons, plastic easter eggs and bouncy balls to put into the eggs.

Liam seriously spent a whole hour playing with the paper cups yesterday morning! I was so so so surprised by that. I really didn't think stacking and unstacking would be that appealing. Oh I was dead wrong! He just wouldn't stop the stacking!



Later when I was trying to get ready for work and he just KEPT grabbing at things he's not allowed to in the bathroom. I went and got those cups, I placed Liam at the bottom of the stairs and I put a cup on each step. He was out of my hair the rest of the time it took me to do my make up and get my clothes on. I was a very happy mom. And more importantly, he was a happy boy to play on the stairs like that!



I blew up a single yellow balloon tonight. But first I would blow it up partially and let the air out to make high pitched noises. He thought that was pretty cool. When I handed it to him, he thought he was hot stuff pretending to blow up the balloon like I was. He also liked throwing it around and watching it float. Pulling on the knot and letting go again and again with his teeth was a hit too!




I like this last photo. "No hands mom!"

14 comments:

Miss Notesy said...

Great ideas! Both of my kids would love playing with cups. I don't know why I never thought of that before! My baby loves throwing socks out of my drawer, but I'm not so crazy about it...

Cute pictures!!!

Katie said...

I am still nervous about balloons in mouths. I'm always afraid my kids will pop one with their teeth and inhale it and suffocate. Yikes!

Kim's Life said...

They are fantastic photos. Its amazing that such a simple thing could keep him happy. I think sometimes we buy all these toys and really they like the simple things around the house.

Mall Worker said...

The simple things little guys love to play with. Its just great. Liam really is a cutie!

Nicole said...

I love all these ideas. And as always, love the pics!

Klin said...

I love your ideas. It's way better than Barney, whom is the sitter I employed to take my showers when the kids were young.

Could Liam get any cuter? I love to see he smiling face and those eyes that are just taking in the world!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

He's simply adorable...
and I love the ideas too...
funny how it is that you don't have to go spent hundreds of dollars on toys... they seem to be drawn to the simple things.
My friend says her twin boys love to play with the tube of a paper towel roll.

asiangard said...

Cute!! Well, at least he is happy with cups for now!

Robin said...

I can't wait to try these with Charlotte!Liam is so cute and it's so great when they can entertain themselves, brothers are good for that too.

www.stepherz.com said...

Love the photos, he's such a ham! Those are great play ideas.

D said...

awesome ideas. Careful with the bouncy balls unless of course they are the really big ones that he can't fit in his mouth. It's just the little ones that you have to worry about. My great-aunt told me a horror story about those from when she was a nurse so I get scared whenever I hear the word bouncy ball now. :) Paranoid first time mom- sorry. I love the pic of Liam covering his ears with two cups!

Anonymous said...

I love that No Hands Mom picture too. He looks so innocent and cute. You take the best pictures and really do a great job capturing the every day special moments.

Nichole said...

ahahaha! The photo of the cups on his ears is killing me! What a creative youngster.

Kate said...

He is SO adorable! I can't get over the cups on the ears thing. He's gonna be smart as his mama!